Course overviewThis qualification comprises the skills and knowledge required to plan, provide and evaluate sports massage treatments for both sporting and non-sporting clients suffering from a wide range of conditions, such as muscle fatigue, lumbago/non- specific low back pain, and repetitive strain/overuse, non-acute type injuries
Key knowledge and understanding:
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage
- Principles of health and fitness
- Professional practice in sports massage
- The principles of soft tissue dysfunction
- Fundamentals of sports massage treatments
- Assessment and screening of clients for sports massage treatments
- Formulation of massage strategies in accordance with clients requirements and expectations
- Application of fundamental sports massage techniques
- Evaluation of sports massage treatments
What else do I need to know?YMCA Level 2 Award in Instructing Kettlebell Training sessions can be combined with this quaification for a one off additional £30 fee. Kettlebell course to be delivered on the 14/05/2023
What are the entry requirements?
- be 16+ years old
- be fit enough to perform sports massage
- have basic skills in communication pitched at level 3
How is it assessed?
its content is vocationally related to the roles of a Level 3 Sports Massage Therapist.
It comprises the following units, all of which must all be completed to achieve this qualification:
- Anatomy and physiology for sports massage (Level 3, 10 credits)
- Principles of health and fitness (Level 2, 3 credits)
- Understand the principles of soft tissue dysfunction (Level 3, 3 credits)
- Professional practice in sports massage (Level 3, 5 credits)
- Sports massage treatments (Level 3, 16 credits)
What financial support is on offer?
You can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or Higher Education Loan to help with the costs of your course if you are 19 or older and the course you are studying is an eligible Level 3, 4, 5 or 6 course.
*This is at the Colleges discretion.
What can I do next?
- Eligibility to register with the Complementary & Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC) as a massage therapist
- This qualification meets the pre-entry requirements of YMCA Awards Level 4 Certificate in Sports Massage Therapy
How do I find out more?
Exercise & Fitness
Course not right for you?
These similar courses may be more suited to you