Course overviewLevel 1 Award in British Sign Language Qualifications is designed to teach learners to communicate with Deaf people in British Sign Language (BSL) on a range of topics that involve simple, everyday language use. You will gain basic skills and confidence in production and reception of BSL.
By the end of the qualification, you will be able to:
- Understand and use a limited range of simple words and sentences in BSL
- Take part in simple, everyday conversations in BSL
- Give and follow simple directions or instructions in BSL
- Give and follow simple familiar statements or descriptions in BSL
What else do I need to know?Please note that courses run subject to minimum viable class sizes. Please note there may be additional costs for books, materials or other expenses.
What are the entry requirements?
BSL competence standards include requirements forcandites to have sufficient sight, manual dexterity, facial and body movement to produce and receive BSL.
How is it assessed?
Prior to any exams taking place you will complete several mock exams to ensure your are ready.
What financial support is on offer?
If you are on state benefits or are on a low income you may be entitled to fee remission towards your course. *This is at the Colleges discretion.
What can I do next?
- Signature Level 2 Certificate in British Sign Language
- Signature Level 3 Certificate in British Sign Language
English & Languages
Course not right for you?
These similar courses may be more suited to you