18th August 2022
Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group (NSCG) are celebrating the success of students from ‘The Class of 2022’, whose A Level and BTEC results are released today.
This is the first time students have taken formal examinations since 2019 after The Department for Education cancelled external examinations during the height of the COVID-19 pandemic and exams regulator Ofqual directed schools and colleges to submit teacher assessed grades (TAGs) or centre assessed grades (CAGs) for A Level and BTEC students.
Following this unprecedented period of disruption to education, NSCG is proud to announce the extraordinary achievements of the ‘Class of 2022’:
- 1227 A Level entries with pass rate of 99.1%
- 106 A* grades and 246 A grades awarded
- 64.4% of A Level entries achieved high grades A*-B, an increase of 13.3% since 2019, when formal examinations were last sat
- 87.3% achieved A* - C grades
- A Level subjects reporting a 100% pass rate, include: Animation, Art, Biology, Business, Computer Science, Drama & Theatre, Economics, English Language & Literature, English Literature, Film Studies, Further Maths, Geography, Graphic Design, History, Media Studies, Philosophy, Religion & Ethics, Photography, Physics, Politics and Psychology.
- 100% pass rate on A+ Certificates including: Business, Criminology, Human Biology, Financial Studies, Law and Psychology
- 1222 BTEC Extended Diploma entries with 98.4% pass rate
- 49% of BTEC Extended Diploma entries achieved high grades DDD or above (equivalent to AAA at A Level)
BTEC Extended Diploma subjects with particularly strong grade profiles are as follows:
- Fashion – 75.9% of students achieved grade DDD or above
- Applied Science – 60% of students achieved grade DDD or above
- Sport & Exercise Science – 58% of students achieved grade DDD or above
- Performing Arts Practice – 57% of students achieved grade DDD or above
- Information Technology – 57% of students achieved grade DDD or above
- Health & Social Care – 55.5% of students achieved grade DDD or above
- Creative Media Practice – 52% of students achieved grade DDD or above
- Public Services – 52% of students achieved grade DDD or above
Karen Dobson OBE, Principal and Chief Executive of NSCG said: “I am absolutely thrilled for our students who have worked incredibly hard in challenging circumstances over the last two years to achieve these outstanding results, which are a true testament to their relentless resilience, determination and drive.”
“I’d also like to thank our amazing staff team who have worked tirelessly to support students to achieve their absolute best. The hard work and dedication of both staff and students has paid off as we celebrate these exceptional results.”
Continued Karen: “We wholeheartedly share in the pride that our learners’ family and friends will be feeling right now and we wish our departing students every success as they leave NSCG to take up university places, apprenticeships or careers in industry. With September fast approaching, we are also looking forward to welcoming new students to both our Newcastle College and Stafford College campuses and hope that these students are excited to become a part of our continued success story.”
NSCG is predicting that today’s results should once again see it maintain its position as the leading provider of students to higher education in the area, with hundreds of students set to be accepted onto their chosen university courses.
Top performing students at the College are expected to progress to a number of prestigious universities across the UK including; University of Cambridge, University of Oxford, Keele University, King’s College London, University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, University of Durham, University of Leeds, University College London, University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, University of Warwick and University of York.
Annually around 97% of NSCG students progress to university, an apprenticeship or employment.
Our students love being a part of NSCG and together we’re always sharing their college experiences and achievements for everyone to see, and more importantly, for you to see. Their world. Their freedom. Their joy. Their life. Their excitement. Make it yours. #MyNSCG