16th August 2018
Students and staff from Newcastle and Stafford Colleges Group (NSCG) are celebrating success today after the A Level and BTEC results for the ‘Class of 2018’ were announced.
This is the first year in which students sat the more challenging two year linear A Level exams following the removal of AS Level exams at the end of year one.
- 1107 A Level entries with pass rate of almost 98%
- 435 A Level entries achieved high grades A*-B with 757 achieving A* - C
- 946 BTEC Extended Diploma entries with 100% pass rate
- Best ever BTEC Extended Diploma results across 26 subject areas – 81% of students achieving high grades, 55% awarded the highest possible grade of Distinction* (D*) and a fantastic 33.5% achieving the highest possible grade combination of D*D*D*
- A total of 1306 entries across A Levels and BTECs achieved high grades (64%)
- Strong performing A Level subjects include: Further Maths where 83% of students achieved A* - B grades, Media Studies where 79% of students achieved A*- B grades, Film Studies where 74% of students achieved A*- B grades, Photography where 68% of students achieved A*- B grades, Business Studies where 54% of students achieved A* - B grades, Spanish where 57% of students achieved A*- B grades, Graphic Design where 53% of students achieved A*- B grades and Geography where 50% of students achieved A* - B grades
- Consistently high performing BTEC Extended Diploma subjects include: Health and Social Care where 82% of students achieved a minimum of one D* grade, Business where 76% of students achieved a minimum of one D* grade, Applied Science where 67% of students achieved a minimum of one D* grade and Sport & Exercise Science where 65% of students achieved a minimum of one D* grade.
In 2017 NSCG sent more students to university than any college in Staffordshire and the Group is predicting that today’s excellent results should once again see it maintain its position as the leading provider of students to higher education in the area, with over 1100 students set to be accepted in to their chosen universities.
Top performing students at the College are expected to progress to a number of prestigious universities across the UK including; University of Cambridge, Cardiff University, University of Exeter, King’s College London, Queen’s University Belfast, LIPA, University of Birmingham, University of Bristol, University of Durham, University of Leeds, University of Manchester, University of Newcastle, University of Nottingham, University of Warwick and The Courtauld Institute of Art.
Karen Dobson, Principal and Chief Executive of NSCG said: “I’d like to pass on my personal congratulations to all of the students who are collecting their results today, as always I am so proud of what the students achieve during their time with us. I am delighted to once again see year on year increases in Level 3 student performance, which will no doubt maintain our position as one of the top college providers nationally for 16 to 18 year old learners.”
Continued Karen: “I am confident that the class of 2018 will leave NSCG fully equipped with the qualifications, skills and confidence to be successful in their further studies, employment or apprenticeship. We wish them every success in their future careers and we look forward to following their progression with interest. With September fast approaching, we are also looking forward to welcoming many new students to both our Newcastle College and Stafford College campuses and hope that these students are excited to become a part of our continued success story.”
Annually around 95% of NSCG students progress to university, an apprenticeship or employment.